RECIPE: Peaches and Peppers
Fall is technically here, but there is still some time to enjoy the last of seasonal summer produce by grilling outdoors! This simple grilled peach and bell pepper recipe is perfect for any picnic, party, barbecue, or tailgate!
Plus, it’s packed with flavor and so many health benefits! Here’s 5 for starters:
- 1. Eating produce in season means more flavor, higher nutrient content and less environmental impact
- 2. Grilling with olive oil is a heart-healthy preparation method, due to high levels of monounsaturated fat
- 3. Orange and red fruits and veggies are packed with health-promoting antioxidants including vitamin C, lycopene, and beta-carotene
- 4. Rich & tangy, balsamic vinegar is a great way to boost flavor without adding calories
- 5. Cooking with onions allows you to use less salt, which is helpful in managing blood pressure and keeping your heart and blood vessels healthy
Peach & Pepper Skewers
grilled peaches and bell peppers, with a pop of basil
Write a review
- • 2 large peaches, cut into 1 by 1 inch cubes
- • 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1 inch squares
- • 1 large red onion, cut into 1 inch cubes
- • olive oil, for coating
- • salt & pepper to taste
- • optional: fresh basil
- • 6 6-inch or 4 full-size skewers; metal or wood (if using wooden skewers, soak in water overnight to prevent burning)
- For balsamic glaze
- • 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- • 1/4 cup honey
- Wash and chop peaches, bell peppers and onions.
- Coat with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Position produce on skewers.
- Grill skewers over medium heat until desired browning occurs.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze.
- Add fresh basil to ends of skewers if desired.
For balsamic glaze
- Combine balsamic vinegar and honey in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes until mixture is thickened.
- Set aside to cool.
Good Measure Meals Healthy Connections http://gmmhealthyconnections.com/