Stress-Free Breakfast Recipes
Today’s article contributed by Good Measure Meals registered dietitians Alissa Palladino and Sarah Shanahan
Start your day the stress-free way!
We’ve all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and with good reason. Breakfast literally breaks the overnight fast and gives you the fuel you need to start your day.
A balanced morning meal that provides complex carbs, protein and a little heart-healthy fats helps keep you energized and focused until lunch. But time and convenience are major barriers when it comes to making breakfast a daily habit.
That’s why it’s key to have some go-to, easy recipes that you can prep ahead and grab-and-go on busy mornings.
Here are some of our favorites!
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup nonfat milk (or milk alternative)
- ¼ cup nonfat or low fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 t honey
- 1 T toasted sliced almonds
- ¼ cup Raspberries
- Add ingredients to a small/medium sized mason jar or other container in the order listed above, through honey.
- Shake/stir the ingredients to combine.
- Place containers into the refrigerator and allow them to sit overnight (at least 8 hours.)
- Before eating, top with raspberries and almonds (or your toppings of choice – dried fruit, fresh fruit, nuts, nut butter, coconut, etc.)
- Recipe will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- (1 serving) 370 calories, 9g fat, 1g sat fat, 53g carbohydrates, 7g fiber, 23g protein
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- ½ cup shredded coconut, toasted
- ½ cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Combine nut butter and sweetener.
- Add mix-ins and stir to thoroughly combine.
- Add water 1 Tbsp at a time.
- Press into a bowl, cover and chill at least one hour.
- Roll into bites- or spread onto a sheet pan and cut into bars.
- *Can customize with your favorite nut butter, experiment with different sweeteners, and try different mix-ins (raisins, cranberries, dark chocolate chips, nuts etc.)
- (1/8th recipe) 220 calories, 16 g fat, 4g sat fat, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 medium size banana
- 1/2 cup broccoli
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk or milk alternative
- 1 cup of ice
- Blend and Enjoy!
- *Can customize by swapping different types of fresh or frozen fruit, different greens, your preferred milk, plain or fruit-flavored yogurts
- (1/2 recipe): 212 calories, 2g fat, 0g sat fat, 38g carbohydrates, 4g fiber, 14g protein