Partying While Pregnant
I found out I was pregnant in September of 2014, but like many women, I wanted to keep our wonderful news a surprise until the end of my first trimester. The invitations for holiday parties, potlucks, and brunches began pouring in. Naturally, I still wanted to enjoy spending time with friends and family. But, when my friends kept asking me to join in on drinking festivities, I knew I had to get creative. To keep things under wraps, I’d volunteer to order and grab our drinks from the bar.
“I’m expecting and I’m not quite ready to tell my friends. Can you make a mocktail for me with two extra cherries, please?”
I should tell you that I was never a huge drinker, but during the holidays, it’s natural for drinks to be a part of the celebration. Instead of thinking of this as a negative, I had fun with it!
So maybe you’re not preggars, but there can be many reasons a mocktail can be preferable -medication interactions, training for a big race, etc.- and our registered dietitians have you covered. Try out these Good Measure Meals mocktail recipes out at your next gathering. And, hey, if you don’t have a need to avoid alcohol this season, these work as a great base to add your favorite spirit :). Enjoy responsibly.
-Ashley, Super Mom + GMM Customer Service Rep
- 2 cups cranberry juice
- 1 Tbsp allspice berries
- 2 large sprigs rosemary
- 1-inch fresh ginger, peeled, sliced
- Still or seltzer water
- Combine cranberry juice, allspice berries, rosemary and ginger in a pot over high heat.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to low heat.
- Steep for 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate overnight to infuse.
- Strain juice and combine equal parts juice and water.
- Serve over ice or heated.
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, cubed
- 1-2 oranges, sliced into quarters (with rind)
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- Combine, refrigerate and allow to infuse overnight.
- Served chilled.