Healthy Fall Appetizers, part 1: Apple Walnut Endive Boats
This time of year, it seems that there is a holiday party full of temptations lurking around every corner. What better way to keep your healthy eating on track than to serve up some easy and delicious fall appetizers that celebrate the flavors of the season?!
Fall herbs are a great way to add depth and flavor to holiday dishes and elevate your food to the next level without relying too heavily on the salt. The piney bouquet of rosemary, minty flavor of thyme, and the earthy aroma of sage are perfect additions to both sweet and savory holiday treats. Think honey thyme apple crisp, rosemary apple cornbread stuffing, and sage roasted carrots.
Is your mouth watering yet? No need to worry, we’ve put together some quick and easy holiday appetizer recipes that highlight the best of fall flavors!
(Stay tuned next post for Herbed White Bean Dip!)
- 1 head of endive
- 1/3 cup plain, low-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves + extra for garnish
- 1 medium sweet apple (Fuji or Gala works well)
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- Separate leaves of endive and rinse well. Set leaves in colander or on paper towels to drain while preparing other ingredients.
- Combine the yogurt, honey, and thyme in a medium bowl. Stir to combine.
- Dice apple into ¼” cubes and add to yogurt along with cranberries and walnuts. Stir to cover in yogurt dressing.
- Spoon apple mixture into endive leaves and top with reserved thyme.
- The apple walnut topping can be prepared 6-8 hours in advance and spooned onto the endive leaves just before serving.